Sunday, July 31, 2011

Bibliotheca Alexandrina

You won't believe this but right now I'm composing this diary entry from the interior of the new Library of Alexandria.  Built in 2002 as a kind of homage to the original, this institution is state-of-the-art and is designed with a sleek, modern look, vaguely resembling the interior of an alien spacecraft I saw back in '98.

*shudder*

I would rather not think about that particular incident again.

Nevertheless, the Egyptian government built this library with the hopes that it would one day become a world-renowned repository of human knowledge, although the Pleiadians suggest that emotions and vibrations are more important than logic and reason, and they have the ability to travel the five-hundred light years to our planet.  Not to mention how everything one needs to know (and then some) can be researched on the net.  That's how I learned of the Pleiadians.  The reptilians, on the other hand...I already knew.  Biblically.

I was hoping to get Polly's reaction to the library, but it seems that he has discovered something called a "muhmorpuhga," and refuses to pry his eyes away from the computer next to me.

Polly: It's a browser-based MMORPG called Runescape.  I'm already level fifteen and filthy, stinkin' rich.  There are so many cats in Gielinor, and some of them are purple!  Now if only I could get the Amulet of Catspeak from the Sphinx in Sophanem and start the quest to find Bob's lover....

Intriguing.  I figured Polly could already speak cat.  Polly, you do realize we are going to see the Sphinx in a couple days, don't you?

Polly:  Shut up.  I'm catassing this until I hit ninety-nine fishing.

Quitbay Citadel
I suppose I'll leave him here while I go inspect the remains of the Pharos Lighthouse.  Although the earthquake destroyed it completely, in 1477 Sultan Al-Ashraf Sayf al-Din Qa'it Bay established the Citadel of Qaitbay on the exact location on the coast of the Mediterranean where the lighthouse once stood, most likely from the same stone blocks that remained after the earthquake.  

If only my trowel were here to see it with me.  Ah well, die Einsamkeit ist die Schule der Weisheit.

No comments:

Post a Comment